Fire at Cornhusker Hotel in Lincoln causes $100,000 in damage

A fire at the Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel that caused $100,000 in damage started when a bag of clothes was placed too close to a wall-mounted heater in a hotel room, Lincoln fire officials said.

Firefighters responded to a fire call at the downtown hotel at 3 a.m. Sunday. The fire was contained to the fourth-floor room where it started, spokeswoman Nancy Crist said.

The dollar estimate of the damage stemmed from smoke in the room where the fire started and water damage on the fourth floor and an area of the floor below, Crist said.

The hotel, at 333 S. 13th St., was evacuated. Hotel guests were kept in the convention center attached to the Cornhusker for several hours.