COLLEGE STATION, Texas – In its second year of competition, Midland University has captured its first national championship, winning the USA Powerlifting Men’s Raw Collegiate Nationals. The Warriors also had two individual champions.
Midland totaled 49 points to claim its national title. Texas A&M-Kingsville was second and Ohio State was third.
“They just did everything they were asked of them,” Coach Tim Anderson said. “They put in a year’s worth of work and the results showed. Three of our guys were ranked No. 1 going into the event, so we were the favorite to win, but anything can happen.”
Joseph Pena earned a national championship in the Raw 120-plus kg weight category with combined lifts of 915.5kg. He also was won the overall best raw male award. Pena lifted 415 in the squat, 200 in the bench, and 300.5 in the deadlift. His 415 lift in the squat was an American collegiate and junior record.
Joshua Peardot won the Raw 105kg division with combined lifts of 780. He lifted 300 in the squat, 190 in the bench and 290 in the deadlift.
The Warriors also had two lifters finish second. Ed Taylor had total lifts of 367.5 to finish second in the Raw 53kg division and Dawson Windham had total lifts of 735.5 to become the runnerup in the Raw 93kg division.
Rachel Blair and Breanna Santos brought home fifth-place finishes for the Warriors, who finished in eighth place in the Women’s Equipped team competition. Blair had total lifts of 490 for her fifth-place finish in the Equipped 84kg division and Santos recorded total lifts of 330 for her fifth-place finish in the Equipped 57kg division.
Others competing for Midland included:
- Nia Brown was seventh in the Raw 84-plus kg division with total lifts of 405.
- Brendan McGuire was seventh in the Raw 105kg division with total lifts of 690.
- Brittany Bond was eighth in the Equipped 84-plus kg division with total lifts of 462.5.
- Dalton Staller was eighth in the Equipped 105kg division with total lifts of 640.
- Yesenia Martinez was 10th in the Equipped 84kg division with total lifts of 430.
- Andrew Leonard was 11th in the Equipped 74 kg division with total lifts of 580.
- Ben Cooney was 15th in the Raw 74kg division with total lifts of 555.
- Kaeleigh Novak was 18th in the Equipped 63kg division with total lifts of 305.
- Henry Diers was 20th in the Raw 66kg division with total lifts of 477.5.
- Andrea Dvorak was 25th in the Raw 72kg division with total lifts of 287.5.
- Theresa Loyd was 30th in the Raw 63kg division with total lifts of 285.
- Thomas Lemelin had total lifts of 517.5 in the Raw 83kg division.
- Bryan Sledge had total lifts of 440 in the Raw 83kg division.