FREMONT – Motorists were diverted from West Military Avenue last Friday morning while fire crews responded to an incident in the area.
Around 11AM, the Fremont Fire Department responded to the scene of a small house fire at 435 W Military Avenue. When they arrived, crews observed white smoke coming from the second story of the home. A mattress was on fire in a bedroom on that floor, but was extinguished quickly. The fire was relatively contained, and Fremont Fire Department Captain Tom Christensen credits working smoke detectors for that fact.
“The smoke detectors did alert the people. So we recommend that everyone check their smoke detector batteries,” Christensen said.
There were no injuries in the fire and the fire damage was contained. However, the Red Cross was called in to help the residents find lodging due to smoke damage in the home.