FREMONT – The Dodge County Sheriff’s Office put their grant from the Nebraska Office of Highway Safety for overtime traffic enforcement to good use in the weeks leading up to Labor Day.
In conjunction with the nationwide “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign, the Dodge County Sheriff’s Office set up sobriety checkpoints twice in August. On Friday, August 17, checkpoints were located on or near West Military Avenue, west of Business Park Drive; Cloverly Road at Yager Road; and Ridge Road at the Rainbow Lake entrance. Then, on Friday, August 31, another sobriety checkpoint was conducted on Highway 77 at the Platte River Bridge.
Sixteen Dodge County deputies participated and worked a total of 239 overtime hours. Deputies stopped a total of 602 vehicles, issuing citations or making arrests on over 100 of those stops. Those arrests/citations included:
- Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol (8)
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs (2)
- Driving Under Suspension/Revocation (7)
- Minor in Possession of Alcohol (1)
- Open Alcohol Container (7)
- Narcotics Possession (26)
- No Proof of Insurance (8)
- Speeding (25)
- Reckless Driving (1)
- Felony Arrests (15)
- Fugitives Apprehended (20)
- Evaluations Conducted by Drug Recognition Expert (3)